Sore Throat? Does It Hurt to Swallow? It Could Be Strep
Strep throat (or streptococcal bacteria) is a painful and contagious infection of the mucous membranes and tonsils. It results in swelling and inflammation within the lining in the back of the throat. Strep is a common cause of sore throat. However, not every sore throat is strep. In teens and school aged children, a sore throat is the most common symptom. The infection throat is most often contracted in either early spring or late fall. Often, a sore throat is caused by a virus and resolves on its own. However, strep throat is bacterial and likely needs prompt medical attention to prevent other complications.
Anywhere UrgentCare™ has the capabilities to test, diagnose, and treat a sore throat or a strep in Colorado Springs, Monument, or Black Forest. We do all the essential urgent care needed for adults or children in the comfort and convenience of your own home. Simply give us a call to schedule a time and location that’s convenient for you …
Call Anywhere UrgentCare™ Now:
Keep reading to learn more about sore throats and strep …
VIDEO: Treatment for Strep in Colorado Springs
Board-certified nurse practitioner, Eileen Flavin, FNP-C, explains how Anywhere UrgentCare™ can evaluate and treat your sore throat:
What Are the Symptoms for Strep Throat?
- red, inflamed or swollen tonsils
- spots or white patches on the tonsils
- tender or swollen lymph nodes located on the upper neck on either side
- sore throat
Other Symptoms (not always present):
- vomiting and nauseas
- loss of appetite
- abdominal pain
- feeling uneasy, ill and uncomfortable
- skin rash
- red spots on the roof of the mouth
When to Get Medical Help:
See a medical practitioner when you have a sore throat along with a fever or other symptoms listed above. Also, if you have kept a consistent sore throat for longer than four or five days, this indicates you need treatment.
How Is Strep Throat Diagnosed?
There is a simple lab test that reveals if strep throat is present. We take a sample from the back of your throat. This sample is then ran through a lab and tested for a positive or negative result.
How Is Strep Throat Treated?
Medication is often the best treatment to reduce symptoms and discomfort. The most commonly used medications include:
- Penicillin: This is an inexpensive and effective antibiotic. Usually, it is taken orally for 10 days. It can also be administered via a one time injection.
- Macrolides: This is also a class of antibiotics. Some common medications within this category include the Z-pack and Biaxin, just to name a few.
- Cephalosporins: This is a class of antibiotics that are a great alternative to penicillin.
You can also read more at emedicinehealth.com.
We Bring Urgent Care to You!
Contact Anywhere UrgentCare™ for at-home evaluation and treatment for strep or a very sore throat. We do house calls to save you time and money. Simply schedule an appointment for a time and place that works best for you: